Mrs Alison Millar was appointed as Lord-Lieutenant of County Londonderry by Her Majesty the Queen on the 17th May 2018.
The main duties of the Lord-Lieutenant include:
- Helping arrange official visits by members of the Royal Family.
- Supporting and promoting a wide range of voluntary activities and developing links with civic, enterprise and social leaders in the County.
- Supporting local business, including making visits to local businesses.
- Playing an active part in the honours system.
- Supporting the Armed Forces and in particular the Reserve Forces.
- Presenting messages of congratulations from Her Majesty.
- Presiding over Citizenship Ceremonies to welcome new UK citizens resident in Northern Ireland.
- Selecting, appointing and making appropriate use of a Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants.
HOW CAN THE LIEUTENANCY HELP YOU?
- Arranging for the Lord-Lieutenant or one of her Deputy Lieutenants to visit your organisation as a means of acknowledging the work being done.
- Following a visit by the Lord-Lieutenant, or a Deputy Lieutenant, suggesting how the organisation might be included in the programme of a member of the Royal Family visiting the County.
- Advising on procedures and nominations for the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the Queen’s Award for Enterprise or the Elizabeth Cross.
- Advising on how any member of the public can nominate a worthy individual, a friend or colleague for a National Honour; offering advice on the completion of the forms and supporting the honors nomination when referred back to the Lord- Lieutenant for comment.
- Celebrating and encouraging volunteering, community service and the work of youth organisations and employment initiatives across the County.
- Helping to promote your organisation, where deemed appropriate, in media releases or speeches to assist with recognition of an organisation’s work.
- Accepting suggestions (by early January each year) for the attendance at Royal Garden Parties of individuals deserving recognition.
- If you think that we can assist, please contact us and please visit our FAQ page.